Looking Back on 2017
This was a weird year of reading for me. I read a fair amount of books, but I also read a lot of poetry and comic book trades. This is also one of my lightest reading years in the past 5 years. I just got into doing so many other things and my social life just exploded this year haha! I also spent a decent amount of time this year going through books and getting rid of books I wasn’t going to read or read again and I think I did a good job of only reading books I was excited to read. I hit several slumps and left about 10 books half read on my shelf because I just couldn’t decide what to read.
This post was created using Perpetual Page Turner‘s End of Year Survey questions. 🙂
Number Of Books You Read: 47
Number of Re-Reads: 7
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary and Comics
Best of 2017
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
The Shades of Magic Series by V.E. Schwab
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Body Electric by Beth Revis, I had it really hyped up in my head when I met her and finished reading Across the Universe, but it fell a bit flat for me. I took a huge break from reading it and when I came back to it it was good, just didn’t love it as much as I thought I was going to. It was still a really good story though!
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I went into Dear Martin by Nic Stone not knowing much about it and it blew me away! I read it in one sitting on the beach and was crying surrounded by strangers.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I pushed a whole class of 7th graders to read Tuck Everlasting, and they did and most enjoyed it.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
The best series I started and finished this year was A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab, this trilogy could take this whole category to be honest.
Another great sequel I read this year was Legion by Julie Kagawa! I love the Talon series because it is really fun to read/listen to on audio.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Nic Stone, Angie Thomas, Amanda Lovelace… I will read anything they write!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I really got into poetry this year, and from that I fell in love with The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
A Conjuring of Light, I couldn’t stop listening to that audio book.
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably Dear Martin by Nic Stone, Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner, or Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds. Nic and Jeff are coming to a book festival in my state soon and I kind of want to reread their books, but I know I want to buy physical copies of Nic’s and Jason’s books since I read them as ARC/ebook editions and I want to own them.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
They both Die at the End by Adam Silvera!
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Vicky from How to Disappear by Sharon Huss Roat, I really connected with her character.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Hmmmm… this is hard. Probably Chasers of the Light by Tyler Knott Gregson. I love his daily haiku’s and they are beautiful.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
This could go to so many honestly. The Hate U Give, Dear Martin, They Both Die at the End.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Scott Pilgrim! This was such a fun read this year and I tore through most of the volumes pretty quickly.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
“Sometimes, though, you want to remember every minute you spent with someone. You want to remember even the most mundane moments. You wish you had inhabited them more completely, and marked them with yourself more indelibly – not in spite of their ordinariness, but because of it. But you only discover this when it’s too late” From Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Shortest was the first single issue of Scales and Scoundrels that I counted into my total when I read the first 4 issues of the comic. Longest was A Conjuring of Light.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Runaways! Reading through this comic series from the beginning this year I ran into some pretty cool twists and some pretty big upsets but I am LOVING this comic series.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Lila and Kel ❤
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Mateo and Lidia
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
This could go to They Both Die at the End and Goodbye Days, but I think I will give it to Strange Truth because I LOVED this sequel by Maggie Thrash and her writing is super fun to read, and it didn’t make me cry like Adam and Jeff’s books.
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Been Here all Along was recommended by an author friend and it was sooooo good!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
I don’t really have fictional crushes
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
Dear Martin by Nic Stone, hands down.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Darker Shade of Magic, definitely.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E Smith.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
They Both Die at The End. So good, much tears.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Having Runaways recommended to me, I devoured the first 5 trades!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Long Way Down, it was so incredibly powerful.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
The Lover’s Dictionary by David Levithan, I really enjoyed the formatting.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Rain Reign for making me se homonyms everywhere! haha!
Looking Ahead to 2018
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
All of them?! Honestly I’ve been meaning to read so many books for the longest time but at the top of the list is probably Wonder, I need to read it!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Hamilton and Peggy by LM Elliott, Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi, Obsidio, On the Come Up
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Love, Hate, and Other Filters by Samira Ahmed
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Inferno by Julie Kagawa, the final TOG book so I can catch up, Queen of Air and Darkness again so I can catch up.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Put more effort back into my reviews and cross posting them to Amazon. Read more than I did this year.